lördag 12 oktober 2013

First encounter with Ruby on Rails...


Yesterday I started working a bit with Ruby on rails. I followed this tutorial to set up a basic blog with Create, Read, Update, Destroy functionality. To make myself think and not just copy the tutorial I made a list of recipes instead of a blog.
I also added some validation features so that you cannot add recipes without title or description

Some thoughts so far:

There is a lot going on under the hood:
I am still kind of amazed how RoR can actually work. It seems that many times it just reads your mind?! The downside of this is that once I got stuck it was not as easy a PHP for example to just hardcode/comment out something/test and revise. For example partials, how can that work?!

I do not understand Ruby syntax that well:
I got stuck for an hour or so on a line of code that returned an error and tried everything until I understood that there was actual a typo in the tutorial. RoR is complex enough that if I am going to learn in I have to get more comfortable with ruby

Idea for project:
Got an idea on how to do a Cookbook with some cool functionalities.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar